Tips For A Safe Thanksgiving
Home cooking fires happen most often on Thanksgiving— doubling in numbers nationwide, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
Below is your best recipe for a safe, fire-free Thanksgiving!
If you plan to roast a turkey this year, make sure you set a timer. This way, you won't forget about it as you prepare other fixings, visit with guests, or watch TV.
If you're frying your turkey, remember:
- Use a fryer with thermostat controls to ensure the oil doesn't become overheated.
- Thaw your turkey completely. Ice on the bird will cause oil to splatter.
- Don't overfill the pot with oil. If you do, the oil will overflow when you add the turkey, causing a fire hazard.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the fryer.
- Always use the fryer outdoors! Never on a wooden deck, and never in the garage.
Stuffing and Potatoes
Stand by your stove when you're boiling potatoes or frying onions for stuffing. It's best to stay in the kitchen while frying, boiling, or broiling. That way, it's easier to catch spills or hazardous conditions before they become a fire.
- Keep the area around your stove clear of packaging, paper towels, dishcloths, oven mitts, and anything else that can burn.
- Be sure to clean up any spills as soon as they happen.
- Keep a large pan lid or baking sheet handy in case you need to smother a pan fire. Be prepared!
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so you don't bump them.
Image Courtesy: Thor Muller (CC: BY-NC-SA 2.0)
Emergency Medical Services
- A Day In The Life Of A Madison Firefighter
- Alix Olson Award
- Awards & Recognition
- Battle Of the Badges
- Black History Month
- Burn Awareness Week
- Community Outreach
- Dane County Public Safety Communications
- Fire Academy
- Fire Prevention Division
- fire prevention month
- Fire Prevention Week
- Fire Safety School Tours
- Fire Stations
- Firefighter Fun Day
- Friday Nights at the Y
- Hazmat Team
- Heavy Urban Rescue Team
- Hiring & Promotions
- Home Fire Sprinklers
- Join the Team
- Lake Rescue Team
- Madison Fire EMS
- Meet the MFD
- MFD Behind the Scenes
- MFD Mailbag
- MFD Prevention Division
- National Preparedness Month
- Our Lady Of the Angels
- public health
- Public Safety
- Sable Flames
- Safety Town
- Shake the Lake
- The American Center
- Training & Professional Development
- UW Health
- Wanda Fullmore Youth Internship Program
- Winter Safety