Wright Award Criteria
- Recipients may be an adult, youth, or organization.
- Individuals must be residents of the Madison metropolitan area whose work has impacted the City of Madison.
- Recipient must have been actively involved and/or provided leadership in grassroots-type effort(s) that is/are related to civil and/or human rights.
- Recipient may not have been recognized for involvement for this particular program or effort by another group or organization in the last two years (but may have been recognized by other groups or organizations for other efforts).
- Adults and organizations must have demonstrated a long-term commitment to civil and/or human rights in the Madison community or elsewhere.
- Individuals or organizations must have demonstrated a dedication and commitment to treating people with respect and dignity.
- Individuals may have been compensated for their work, but must also show a greater commitment to community service than their employment.
- Individuals should share Reverend Wright's dedication to and compassion for civil and human rights and conduct their daily life consistent with these values.
- Members of the Department of Civil Rights, staff, Commissions and/or volunteers are not eligible to receive the award.
The Award(s) will be presented annually at the second City Council meeting in June. Two plaques will be designed. One will be housed in the DCR offices and the names of recipients will be added annually. The second will be presented to the award recipient(s).
Nominations must be in writing and received by the advertised deadline. Nominations should contain enough detail for staff to determine that the candidate meets the award criteria. Nominations should highlight how the individual performed work not compensated for. A resume will not suffice. Additional research will not be conducted.
Equal Opportunity Division staff will convene the selection committee to choose the recipient(s). Selection committee will consist of the President of the EOC, Chair of the EOC Employment Subcommittee and a DCR staff representative.