Learn more about in-person services and schedule an in-person appointment.
On-Street Moving and Storage Containers
If possible, storage containers, pods, and moving trailers (referred to here as containers) should be located off-street in private driveways, private parking lots, or other private property. If this is not possible you may apply for a Street Occupancy Permit to place the container on the street.
Applications for a Street Occupancy Permit should be submitted online. If you have any issues setting up your account, call (608) 261-4293. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First-time users will need to "Register for an Account" before logging in. Make sure to check your email to authenticate you account.
- Log in, go to the ‘Permitting’ tab, and click ‘Apply for a Permit.’
- Select ‘Street Occupancy Permit’ and continue the application.
- Once you’ve submitted your application, you will receive emails from SOP@cityofmadison.com regarding the status of your application and next steps.
- If signs are needed to reserve space for your container in the parking lane, you’ll be prompted by email to schedule a sign pickup appointment after your permit has been issued.
If unsure about container placement, call the Parking Utility Office for assistance.
Additional Information about Street Occupancy Permits for moving and storage containers:
- The fee for a permit is a $50 flat fee.
- Containers may not remain on the street for more than 5 consecutive calendar days.
- If the container is to be placed at a metered parking space, meter signs must be purchased for the duration of this placement. This cost is in addition to the $50 permit fee.
- Containers can only be placed in front of the residence of the container user. An acknowledgment letter is required if placing the container in front of an alternate address.
- No containers may be placed in a traffic lane, peak hour lane, bike lane, parking restriction area, at a bus stop or other street area designated for a specific use.
- Containers are not allowed on the terrace between the street and sidewalk.
- For more information, call Parking Utility at (608) 266-4761.
Construction and Dumpsters (Traffic Engineering)
Applicants are encouraged to apply online using Accela Citizen Access. An appointment can be made to collect paperwork, associated permits and signs once approval has been acquired