Learn more about in-person services and schedule an in-person appointment.
If possible, storage containers, pods, and moving trailers (referred to here as containers) should be located off-street in private driveways, private parking lots, or other private property. If this is not possible you may apply for a Street Occupancy Permit to place the container on the street.
Applications for a Street Occupancy Permit should be submitted online using Accela Citizen Access. If unsure about container placement, call the Parking Utility Office for assistance.
- First-time users will need to "Register for an Account" before logging in.
- Log in, go to the ‘Permitting’ tab, and click ‘Apply for a Permit.’
- Select ‘Street Occupancy Permit’ and continue the application.
- Once you’ve submitted your application, you will receive emails from SOP@cityofmadison.com regarding the status of your application and next steps.
- If signs are needed to reserve space in the parking lane, you’ll be prompted by email to schedule a sign pickup appointment after your permit has been issued.
Additional Information about Street Occupancy Permits for moving and storage containers:
- The fee for a permit is a $50 flat fee.
- Containers may not remain on the street for more than 5 consecutive calendar days.
- If the container is to be placed at a metered parking space, meter signs must be purchased for the duration of this placement. This cost is in addition to the $50 permit fee.
- Containers can only be placed in front of the residence of the container user. An acknowledgement letter is required if placing the container in front of an alternate address.
- No containers may be placed in a traffic lane, peak hour lane, bike lane, parking restriction area, at a bus stop or other street area designated for a specific use.
- Containers are not allowed on the terrace between the street and sidewalk.
- For more information, call Parking Utility at (608) 266-4761.
Applicants are encouraged to apply online using Accela Citizen Access. An appointment can be made to collect paperwork, associated permits and signs once approval has been acquired