The Permit is valid only for the address, vehicle, and license plate for which the permit was issued. If there are any changes to this information (i.e. move, extend lease, sell/junk vehicle, replace broken windshield, change plates including temporary plates), you must return your current permit and apply for a replacement. The cost of a replacement permit is $11.00. Replacements will not be issued without the original permit. Applicants for a replacement permit must complete Replacement Residential Permit Application.

Change of License Plates

If your temporary or permanent license plate changes for your permitted vehicle, you must get a replacement permit showing the new license plate number. The original permit (all or part of it) must be removed from the vehicle and returned to the Madison Parking Division at the time you request a replacement permit.

Sell/Junk Vehicle or Replace Broken Windshield

If you sell, junk your permitted vehicle, or replace a broken windshield, the original permit must be removed from the vehicle and returned to the Madison Parking Division. If you wish to have a replacement permit issued for another vehicle, you must produce all or part of the original permit at the time the replacement is applied for, and bring in the vehicle registration form for the new vehicle.

Change of Address or Lease Extension

Change your vehicle registration to your new address by calling the State of Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles at (608) 266-1466.

Bring proof of your new address or extended lease (e.g., signed lease agreement), your vehicle registration, and your original permit to the Parking Division Office.

If you move to an address outside the residential permit area, you must return the permit to the Parking Division Office. Be sure to include your name and license plate number with your permit. Failure to return the permit may result in permit revocation and/or a one-year sanction on new permits being issued.


A replacement permit may be obtained only if theft of the vehicle is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Parking Manager or their designee.