2022-23 Thurber Park Artist-in-Residence Call for Applicants
The City of Madison invites artists to apply for the 2022-23 Thurber Park Artist Residency
The City of Madison along with The Bubbler at Madison Public Library offer an exciting opportunity for an artist(s) to have an 11-month residency in a dedicated art studio at Thurber Park. The Artist-in-Residence has access to a rent-free studio space (including heat, electricity, and water but not WIFI service) for 11-months, and receives a $7,080 stipend. The artist has the opportunity to create an outdoor public artwork for consideration by the City of Madison. In addition, the Artist-in-Residence works closely with The Bubbler at Madison Public Library to engage the local community through open studio days, community workshops, or other strategies determined by the artist and residency administrators.
The Thurber Park Artist-in-Residence is open to a single artist or artist pair working in any discipline who reside in Madison during the entire 11-month term; have an expressed interest and experience in public arts outreach; work in an artistic medium that is safe to use within the studio and is appropriate for a residential area; and demonstrate the ability to produce a permanent public outdoor artwork. Artists with an emphasis on sculptural work and experience working in and creating work for outdoor settings are encouraged to apply.
By activating this space, the Thurber Park Artist Residency aims to support an artist with
- Funding, time, and space to further develop their own art practice
- Intentionality around hands-on programming that will allow for a deeper connection to the neighborhood
- Guidance and funding towards developing and installing a public art piece
- $7,080 Artist Stipend for the 11-month residency.
- Rent-free studio space (including heat, electricity, and water but not WIFI service) for 11-months
- Opportunity to create a public art piece (To be determined).
- Material budget for community-focused programming.
- Application Deadline: April 18, 2022 by midnight CST
- Applications Reviewed by the MAC Public Art Committee: April 25, 2022
- MAC Approves Finalists: May 11, 2022
- Finalist Notifications Sent: May 13, 2022
- Finalist Interviews: June 8, 2022
- Notified of MAC Recommendation: June 15, 2022
- Residency: Anticipated for Oct 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023
- The Thurber Park Artist-in-Residence is open to a single artist or artist pair working in any discipline who will:
- Reside in Madison during the term of the residency
- Demonstrate ability to produce a permanent public outdoor artwork
- Participate in community engagement (via workshops, open studios, and other arts education and outreach)
- Work in an artistic medium that is safe to use within the studio and is appropriate for a residential area