The Madison Salt Certification Program was developed in 2017. More than 300 certified applicators have been trained in Dane County since the voluntary program was started. The program is housed in City of Madison Engineering Division, but it is supported in collaboration with Wisconsin SaltWise. This program encourages winter maintenance professionals to use the least amount of de-icing material necessary to keep parking lots, roads, sidewalks and driveways safe. Find out how to get certified and view upcoming trainings by heading to the Get Certified page.
More information about the impact of road salt
- Road Salt & Drinking Water
- Road Salt & our Lakes & Waterways
- Wisconsin Salt Wise
- Listen: Everyday Engineering Podcast: Salt: Great for French Fries, not for Fish Fry
- Listen: Everyday Engineering Podcast: Winter Bike Snow Clearing
- Listen: Everyday Engineering Podcast: A Sweet Perspective on Salty Storms
- Listen: Everyday Engineering Podcast: It's Brine time!
- Listen: The Price of the Perfect Green Lawn
Certification Training Dates
If you hire winter maintenance crews, check your company’s certification status. Encourage your company to get certified!
Road Salt Applicators
Private road salt applicators can learn to balance public safety with responsible salt use by learning proper application rates and techniques.
- Phil Gaebler, Water Resources Engineer
Get Email Updates
Subscribe to the Salt Certification News & Trainings email list.