Natural Gas Leak Identified In S. Stoughton Road Condominium
A report of natural gas inside a Stoughton Road residence led firefighters to discover an open stovetop burner in the unit next door.
Engine Co. 14 responded to a condo on the 2600 block of S. Stoughton Road. The 911 caller met firefighters and indicated she was not feeling ill, but her home smelled of natural gas. Engine 14’s crew entered the condo and confirmed the presence of natural gas using an air monitor. The source was unclear as the water heater, stove, and HVAC systems had no natural gas leaks.
Firefighters moved over to the condo next door. There, natural gas readings were even higher. Occupants were evacuated, and firefighters proceeded with their investigation. They ultimately found a stovetop burner turned in the “on” position, with no flames, releasing natural gas into the condominium.
Firefighters ventilated the unit, and MGE joined Engine 14 to perform a door-to-door evaluation of natural gas readings in other areas of the complex. Once confirmed that there were no other hazards, residents were allowed to return inside. Occupants were reminded of the importance of making sure stove dials and valves are closed when not in use.