Incident Type: 
Sunday, April 23, 2023 - 8:32pm
Sunday, April 23, 2023 - 8:35pm
2100 block Oakridge Avenue
Madison, WI

A basement fire was discovered thanks to working smoke detectors alerting an occupant to the problem. The occupant stated he heard the smoke detector and smelled smoke at the same time. He went downstairs to investigate and found heavy smoke in the basement, prompting a call to 911.

Engine Co. 3, Medic 3, and other east side fire companies responded to 2104 Oakridge Avenue. Upon arrival, firefighters did see smoke coming from the back of the building. They went inside to investigate and found heavy smoke near the rear entrance to the basement.

Firefighters ultimately located a dryer on fire, with fire extending up the wall. The crew was able to knock down the fire, and they cooled the dryer and adjacent walls with water. The appliance and the dryer vent are considered a total loss.

Ladder Co. 1 and Medic 3 confirmed everybody made it out of the building safely, and there were no injuries.

Posted 04/24/2023 - 9:55am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)