Porch Fire Ignites Shortly After Cigarette Is Discarded Nearby

Incident Type
Smoking
Dispatch
Sunday, August 2, 2020 - 1:40pm
Arrival
Sunday, August 2, 2020 - 1:43pm
Address
1000 Block Vilas Avenue
Madison, WI
Narrative

A porch fire caught early was the result of an improperly discarded cigarette. Engine Co. 4 was dispatched to a home on Vilas Avenue for smoke coming from a corner deck column. Firefighters gained access to the interior of the column and extinguished a small fire found there. The occupant confirmed he’d just been smoking prior to the fire occurring and the cigarette was discarded nearby. There were no other potential ignition sources. Because the fire was caught early, damage was minimal and nobody was injured or displaced.

The Madison Fire Department has seen a stark increase in smoking-related fires this year. Firefighters remind all residents to take these steps when discarding cigarettes and other smoking materials:

  • Discard your cigarettes in a container that won’t catch on fire. Use an approved ashtray, metal coffee canister, or a bucket with sand.
  • Put your cigarette out all the way. Put water on the ashes and butts to make sure they are totally extinguished before placing them in the trash.
  • Empty your ashtray often so cigarette butts don’t pile up. Even if you throw your cigarettes in a proper receptacle, the butts can still catch on fire, especially if the receptacle is full.

Learn how to help snuff out smoking-related fires.

Posted 08/03/2020 - 1:01pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)