Incident Type: 
Saturday, May 20, 2023 - 5:43pm
Saturday, May 20, 2023 - 5:50pm
6400 block Landfall Drive
Madison, WI

Firefighters responded to the 6400 block of Landfall Drive for an outside fire involving a gas grill. The person using the grill told 911 he was in the process of lighting his liquid propane gas grill when he heard an explosion and felt extreme heat on parts of his body. He then realized flames were coming from below the grill.

Ladder Co. 2 arrived to find the grill about five feet from the house with flames coming out of the cabinet below, where the propane tank was stored. Firefighters applied water to extinguish the flames. They disconnected the propane tank and moved it at least 20 feet from the building.

The incident is believed to be the result of a leak in the gas hose connecting the propane tank to the grill, causing gas vapors to ignite. The person who was using the grill at the time did suffer injuries but refused EMS care.

Posted 05/22/2023 - 11:36am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)