Incident Type: 
Gas Leak
Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 5:48pm
Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 5:52pm
100 block N. Butler St.
Madison, WI

Engine Co. 1 was dispatched to 103 North Butler Street for a gas leak. A resident approached firefighters and described smelling natural gas coming from one of the apartment units inside. The resident tried knocking on the door several times but nobody answered.

Firefighters went inside with an air monitor and confirmed the presence of natural gas. Readings on the monitor indicated a higher concentration of gas just outside the apartment unit in question. The crew knocked on the door again and nobody answered. Firefighters then turned off gas service at the meter and began evacuating the remaining residents from the building. MGE was also asked to respond.

After several unsuccessful attempts at knocking on the unit door, firefighters forced entry. They found that a stovetop burner with no pilot light had been left on. Nobody was home at the time.

The crew opened windows to ventilate the apartment, and other residents were advised to keep their windows open as well to clear the air. Firefighters secured the apartment, and MGE remained on scene to restore gas service.

Posted 05/25/2023 - 9:31am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)