Incident Type: 
Monday, March 27, 2023 - 11:56pm
Tuesday, March 28, 2023 - 12:10am
500 block Blue Ridge Parkway
Madison, WI

Ladder Co. 2 was dispatched to a west side home where a homeowner stated there was a fire in his furnace, and he was able to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher. Firefighters located the furnace and took a look inside. The crew determined the fire started in the control panel and electrical connections within the furnace, and that the fire was electrical in nature.

Ladder 2 shut down gas service to the furnace. A thermal imaging camera was used to confirm there were no signs of elevated heat signatures outside of the furnace unit. It is suspected the furnace was at least 20 years old and that the age of the equipment was a likely factor in the electrical failure.

Posted 03/28/2023 - 1:47pm

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)