Fire Caused By Discarded Ashes Damages East Side Home

Incident Type: 
Monday, November 1, 2021 - 11:43am
Monday, November 1, 2021 - 11:47am
3800 block Clover Lane
Madison, WI

Firefighters responded to an east side home for a City-issued trash can on fire. Upon arrival, Engine Co. 5 found fire extended up the siding of the home. The crew pulled a line and quickly extinguished the fire. The homeowner arrived home shortly thereafter, and firefighters checked inside for fire extension, finding some smoke in the basement but no fire damage.

The fire was the result of discarded ashes from a recently-used fire pit. After the ashes were discarded, the garbage can was returned to the side of the house. As the fire grew, it resulted in damage to the home siding and soffit, as well as a nearby recycling bin. Nobody was injured or displaced as a result of the fire.

Safety Tip: After using a fire pit or grill, it can take up to 72 hours for ashes and coals to completely cool. Always wait to discard your ashes/coals in a receptacle, unless that receptacle is fire resistant and stored away from buildings and other objects that can burn.

Posted 11/02/2021 - 9:32am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)