Engine 1 Called To Investigate Gas Leak In Downtown Apartment

Incident Type
Gas Leak
Dispatch
Friday, January 11, 2019 - 5:08pm
Arrival
Friday, January 11, 2019 - 5:13pm
Address
500 Block W. Wilson Street
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

Firefighters traced a gas leak to an open stovetop burner inside a downtown apartment Saturday evening. Nobody was home at the time.

A neighbor called 911 when he detected the smell of natural gas in the hallway, pinpointing the origin to the apartment next door. Engine Company 1 arrived at 5:13 p.m., and air monitors confirmed the presence of natural gas in the hallway. The crew could not immediately access the apartment, but a landlord was available to provide a key.

Firefighters noticed a spike in natural gas levels upon entering the unit. They went on to find a stove burner left on. Engine 1 turned off the burner and began ventilating the apartment. MGE arrived to assist and confirm the atmosphere throughout the apartment was clear from natural gas. Several windows were left open to facilitate airflow, and the unit was turned back over to the property owner.

Posted 01/14/2019 - 12:19pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)