Dog perishes in early morning fire
Just before 6:30 this morning, the 911 center received a call from a neighbor saying there was a fire in the apartment next to theirs. Caller stated that they see fire, smoke and fire alarms were sounding. The neighbor and her husband started pounding on doors to alert other residents as they made their way out of the building. A full structure fire response was dispatched to the apartment building on Monroe Street. Incoming units reported a three-story building with smoke showing from third floor and building evacuation was in progress. Engine 4’s crew ascended to the third-floor apartment for fire extinguishment. After forcing the door they encountered heavy black smoke and proceeded to quickly extinguish the fire. During a search of the fire apartment they discovered a dog. Medic 2 tended to the dog, providing oxygen with our specially designed pet mask and with assistance from Madison police rushed the dog to a Westside emergency veterinarian clinic. The dog later perished.
Fire and smoke damage was contained to the single apartment and all other residents were able to return to their home. The residents of the apartment were not home at the time of the fire.
The fire is under investigation and no injuries were reported.