Deck Fire The Result Of Improperly Discarded Cigarettes

Incident Type
Smoking
Dispatch
Tuesday, June 25, 2019 - 6:36pm
Arrival
Tuesday, June 25, 2019 - 6:39pm
Address
3300 Block Packers Avenue
Madison, WI
Narrative

A fire that resulted from improperly discarded cigarettes was caught early thanks to an observant neighbor who called 911 right away.

Engine Company 10 located a small fire on the deck of third-floor apartment on the 3300 block of Packers Avenue. Firefighters accessed the apartment and were able to extinguish the small fire with a water can extinguisher. The fire was caught before it could extend to the building.

One occupant admitted to firefighters that he smokes on the deck and discards his cigarettes in a plastic container that usually has water in it. He remembered that, this time, there was no water in the container. He further explained that he keeps the plastic container inside a cardboard box to protect it from the wind.

Proper disposal of smoking materials, especially in apartment dwellings where multiple households are at risk, is critical in preventing fires. The setup described above presents a number of hazards. All smoking materials should be discarded in a proper receptacle designed for this use and kept away from combustible materials, including cardboard. 
 

Posted 06/26/2019 - 7:12am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)