Incident Type: 
Monday, March 27, 2023 - 6:10pm
Monday, March 27, 2023 - 6:14pm
3000 block Hermina Street
Madison, WI

A fire traced to smoking materials left atop a dresser caused significant damage to an east side bedroom.

An occupant called 911 and reported to firefighters that he placed some smoking materials in an ashtray on his bedroom dresser before leaving the room to go to the kitchen. He said the top of the dresser also contained “a bunch of papers” which presumably came into contact with the smoking materials.

Approximately ten minutes after leaving the room, the occupant started to smell smoke. He returned to the bedroom and found his dresser on fire. The occupant used a fire extinguisher to knock down the fire just prior to Engine Co. 3’s arrival.

Firefighters located the dresser and brought it outside. Ladder Co. 8 helped open drywall and ceiling near the site of the fire to check the walls and attic space for fire extension.

Paramedics evaluated the occupant out of concern for close exposure to high heat and thick smoke. The occupant stated he did not want any treatment and declined to be taken to the hospital. He was advised to call 911 should his condition change.

Posted 03/28/2023 - 10:49am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)