Incident Type: 
Monday, May 29, 2023 - 2:38pm
Monday, May 29, 2023 - 2:41pm
1100 block Petra Place
Madison, WI

Two people are displaced, but nobody injured, as a result of unattended cooking.

A resident on Petra Place was cooking with grease on her stovetop when she stepped outside for a couple of minutes. Upon returning to her apartment, she was immediately met with smoke and found a fire in her kitchen. 911 was called, and the occupant waited outside for firefighters.

Ladder Co. 6, Medic 6, and other fire companies arrived to the two-story, eight-unit apartment building and found no signs of fire or smoke outside as they circled the building. Upon entering the apartment, firefighters located the fire on the stovetop. They removed the pan from the stove, placed it into the sink, and extinguished the fire that on the stovetop, which had extended into the microwave and cabinet above. The oven was unplugged and removed from the wall. Firefighters also examined drywall, insulation, ceilings and walls to ensure there were no signs of heat or hidden fire. The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and living room.

Posted 05/30/2023 - 1:29pm

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)