Incident Type: 
Sunday, March 26, 2023 - 9:02pm
Sunday, March 26, 2023 - 9:08pm
900 block Troy Drive
Madison, WI

Firefighters were called to a residence on Troy Drive for smoke found in the basement of the single-family home. All six occupants safely evacuated and awaited firefighters’ arrival.

Engine Co. 10 arrive first to find no signs of smoke or fire from the outside of the home. They went into the home and identified smoke on the first floor. They proceeded to the basement and found smoke and fire at the bottom of the stairs. The crew was able to extinguish the fire with a water can extinguisher, and Ladder 8 assisted with clearing the smoke from the home.

Upon investigation, firefighters found evidence of an electrical fault related to a fluorescent light in the basement. Engine 10 removed the light and searched for signs of fire extension in the ceiling and surrounding areas. No additional signs of fire were found. The occupants were not displaced.

Firefighters noted that no smoke detectors were heard during their response, and the household was advised to replace their old smoke detectors with working ones.

Posted 03/28/2023 - 8:43am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)