Metro Transit Phase 2 – Facility Improvements
Last Updated: 09/16/2020
Update: Sept. 16, 2020
This project will provide new HVAC systems throughout the facility which will address zoning, pressurization and ventilation issues in the facility. Budget is $6.575 M.
Work includes phasing to allow for continuous owner occupancy and 24-hour operations. While the HVAC portion of this project is significant, other components such as electrical, steel and roofing are substantial. The improvement work includes, but is not limited to, selective demolition and reconnection of MEPFP in areas requiring inserted structural bar joist under roof top mechanical units, relocation of fuel and compressed air lines, replacement of air handling equipment, replacement of air distribution, installation of new hydronic unit heaters, installation of new hydronic piping, HVAC controls and associated electrical connections and roof patching. A significant portion of the work includes new structural bar joists, a new steel mezzanine and new electrical distribution for the HVAC and future electrical upgrades.
This is the second phase of a 4-phase construction project (totaling $30M+). Over the next 3 years the capital improvement plan for this facility is to design and bid a project each year in the $6-9M range:
2019 Construction: Metro Transit Phase 1 Service Bay Addition was the addition of a new service lane addition, totaling ~$6.5M
- See Metro Transit's Phase 1 Flickr page for construction photos.
- 2020 Construction: Phase 2 is replacement of HVAC, totaling ~$6.5M (This project will be advertising for bids starting January 9, 2020)
- 2021 Construction: Phase 3A is remodeling of maintenance bays, including lift replacements, totaling ~$8.5M (design starting early 2020)
- 2022 Construction: Phase 3B is remodeling of Admin/Dispatch areas, including new electrical service, totaling ~$8.0M (design starting early 2021)
- 2023 and beyond – a potential Phase 5 (3C) and Phase 6 project to complete remodeling of bus storage areas and exterior improvements not currently in the 2020 Capital Budge.
More information regarding the "Metro Transit Space Needs Study" can be found at the Metro Bus Barn Study-East Washington Ave. project page.
City User Agency: Metro Transit
Project Status: Construction
1st Advertisement of Bid: January 9, 2020 available on Bid Express
Pre-Bid Building/Site Tour: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 @ 10:00 am at the project site, 1101 E. Washington Ave.
Bid Due Date: February 06, 2020
Construction Start Date: March 20, 2020
Expected Completion Date: February 05, 2021
"All information regarding dates/times/locations are informational and should be verified with official bidding documents posted on Bid Express."
Awarding Public Works Contract No. 8535, Metro Transit Phase 2 - Facility Improvements
Oct. 15, 2019 File #57551
Approving plans and specifications and authorizing the Board of Public Works to advertise and receive bids for the Metro Transit Phase 2 - HVAC Replacement project.
April 17, 2018 File #50922
Resolution authorizing a non-competitive purchase of services contract with Mead and Hunt for professional architectural and engineering services for the design of (2019 - Phase 1) Metro