Free Legal Assistance
A toll-free legal hotline is available to victims of flooding. Individuals who were impacted by flooding may call the hotline at 877-947-5291 if they are facing legal issues and are unable to afford a lawyer. Hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. Questions may also be submitted online at wi.freelegalanswers.org./p>
Available Legal Assistance
- Assistance with securing Federal Emergency Management Agency and other government benefits available to disaster survivors.
- Help with life, medical and property insurance claims.
- Assistance with home repair contracts and contractors.
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster.
- Help with consumer protection matters, remedies and procedures.
- Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems.
- Counseling on landlord-tenant problems.
The service allows callers to receive limited legal assistance from a volunteer lawyer, and is a partnership between the State Bar of Wisconsin, the State Bar’s Young Lawyers Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Wisconsin Emergency Management and others.