Incident Type: 
Gas Leak
Thursday, January 19, 2023 - 7:52am
Thursday, January 19, 2023 - 7:56am
2200 block East Washington Ave.
Madison, WI

The Madison Fire Department was dispatched to East High School (2222 E. Washington Avenue) for a report of a natural gas leak. The gas leak has been stopped, and the school is deemed safe to occupy. No illnesses or injuries were reported.

Engine Co. 3 responded to the high school after a large piece of concrete material, measuring approximately 2 feet by 4 feet, struck a gas line in the boiler room, causing the gas line to break. Demolition work was underway at the time, and the construction company on site was able to put a stop to the leak prior to MFD's arrival. The school day had not yet begun, so students were held outside while firefighters and MFD cleared the building, monitored the atmosphere, and determined the building was safe to occupy. Students and staff have been welcomed back into the school.

Posted 01/19/2023 - 9:05am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)