A Grease Fire Caused $100,000 in Damage to Apartment
Madison, WI 53704
No one was injured in a Saturday morning apartment fire that caused more than $100,000 damage.
Firefighters were called to the 8-unit apartment complex on the 700 block of Vera Court at 11:30 a.m. by a resident of the apartment reporting a fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke from a second-floor window of the two-story apartment building. Crews encountered smoke in the hallway and when the apartment door was opened, firefighters noticed black smoke banking down within three feet of the floor. Crews quickly extinguished the fire and was brought under control within 11 minutes.
The fire caused significant damage to the upper-floor unit, and also resulted in some fire and smoke damage to other units throughout the building.
The fire displaced a total of 6 adults and 5 children. The children's ages range from infant to 14 years old.
Metro Transit assisted in keeping some of the residents warm.
Red Cross assisted with emergency needs for occupants.
The cause of the fire is unattended cooking.