Work the week of May 23, 2022
- Inside lane restrictions in both the eastbound and westbound directions will be in place throughout the week. Additional center lane closures may be necessary to complete the work; however, these closures will only occur during off-peak travel periods between 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The contractor will begin removing the existing medians in preparation for temporary roadway widening for future construction stages.
- The contactor will be installing overhead cables and temporary traffic signals at Shorewood Blvd., Marshall Ct. and University Bay Dr.
- Concrete sawing and tree clearing will be performed at required locations throughout the project.
- The contractor will begin bringing in equipment and materials in preparation for the 96-inch storm sewer installation near the intersection of University Ave. and Grand Ave.
- Note that there will be an increase in trucks entering and leaving the work zone during the median removal operations.
Work the week of May 30, 2022
- Inside lane restrictions in both the eastbound and westbound directions will be in place throughout the week. Additional center lane closures may be necessary to complete the work; however, these closures will only occur during off-peak travel periods between 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- The contractor will continue installing overhead cables for temporary traffic signals at Shorewood Blvd., Marshall Ct. and University Bay Dr.
- The contractor plans to install traffic control devices and begin water main adjustments on University Bay Dr.
The multi-use path on the north side of University Avenue will remain open until early July at which time a signed detour route will be put in place while the new pedestrian overpass is being constructed over University Bay Drive. Sidewalks may require short term closures at times. Advisory signs will be in place to notify pedestrians of sidewalk closures and alternate routes. Please be aware that there is ongoing private utility work occurring within the project limits that may not be included on this update for the University Ave. roadway construction. Note that the work is weather dependent and may be subject to change.
University Ave is scheduled for reconstruction from Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave. The City of Madison is jointly participating with the Village of Shorewood Hills on the design and construction. The project includes reconstruction of pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalk as necessary, street lighting, traffic signals, water main, sanitary sewer and storm sewer. Alternatives to improve pedestrian & bicycle connectivity, bus rapid transit initiatives and stormwater drainage have been reviewed, and the project plans have been updated to include a new pedestrian & bike overpass of University Bay Dr., a widened sidewalk along the southerly side of University Ave., and a 96-inch storm sewer pipe to help improve drainage in the area. The project continues to be coordinated with the City’s planning efforts for bus rapid transit.
Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave.
Construction is scheduled for 2022.
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates and times are indicated below:
Public Information Meetings
There is also an in-person Public Information Meeting scheduled for 4-6 p.m., May 3, at the Best Western Plus Inntowner, Bascom Meeting Room, 2424 University Ave.
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Univ Ave (Shore-Univ Bay Dr) Roll Plot Exhibit
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting Display Photo
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting Preliminary Plan Overview
City Meetings, Process
Board of Public Works: June 16, 2021
Transportation Commission: April 15, 2020
Common Council: July 6, 2021