Work the Week of Aug. 7, 2023
- Roadway work including curb, sidewalk, and topsoil installation will be completed on the north side of University Ave. from Shorewood Blvd. to University Bay Dr.
- Installation of the 96-inch storm sewer access structure on the north side of the roadway will be completed at the Marshall Ct./University Ave. intersection.
- The contractor will install the remaining permanent asphalt on the north side of University Ave.
- Left turn restrictions from eastbound University Ave. onto Shorewood Blvd. and westbound University Ave. onto Hill St. will remain in place until approximately August 12, 2023.
- The contractor is planning to perform the Stage 3 traffic switch during the week. The Stage 3 traffic configuration will shift eastbound traffic on University Ave. to the south side of the roadway and westbound traffic on University Ave. will be shifted to the north side of the roadway. View the Stage 3 Overview traffic configuration and work zone locations.
Work the Week of Aug. 14, 2023
- The contractor will begin sawing and removing existing pavement in the median of University Ave. between Shorewood Blvd. and Highland Ave.
- Storm sewer, water and sanitary sewer connections will be completed in the median while eastbound and westbound traffic on University Ave. is shifted to the outside lanes.
- Roadway grading for the temporary median widening that is necessary for the Stage 4 traffic configuration will be performed as the utility work is completed.
- Traffic is anticipated to change to the Stage 3 configuration during the week. Single lane closures and/or traffic flagging operations on University Ave., University Bay Dr., and Marshall Ct. may be required during off-peak travel periods (9 AM to 3 PM). Sidewalk and pedestrian crosswalk adjustments, as well as minor changes to Madison Metro Transit bus stop locations, will occur periodically. Please be alert for sidewalk closed and sidewalk detour signage identifying pedestrian routes. Temporary bus stop signage will also be in place identifying any changes to bus stop locations. Note that the work is weather dependent and may be subject to change.
University Ave is scheduled for reconstruction from Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave. The City of Madison is jointly participating with the Village of Shorewood Hills on the design and construction. The project includes reconstruction of pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalk as necessary, street lighting, traffic signals, water main, sanitary sewer and storm sewer. Alternatives to improve pedestrian & bicycle connectivity, bus rapid transit initiatives and stormwater drainage have been reviewed, and the project plans have been updated to include a new pedestrian & bike overpass of University Bay Dr., a widened sidewalk along the southerly side of University Ave., and a 96-inch storm sewer pipe to help improve drainage in the area. The project continues to be coordinated with the City’s planning efforts for bus rapid transit.
Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave.
Construction is scheduled for 2022.
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates and times are indicated below:
Public Information Meetings
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Univ Ave (Shore-Univ Bay Dr) Roll Plot Exhibit
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting Display Photo
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting Preliminary Plan Overview
- The residents and businesses impacted by the University Avenue project are welcome to attend a monthly coordination meeting to discuss the University Avenue construction project. The coordination meeting will be held on the second Wednesday of each month at 11 a.m., 3230 University Avenue, Suite No. 7. The first meeting was held June 8, 2022. Integrity Grading and Excavating will give a construction schedule update at each meeting followed by an open platform for any questions and/or concerns with the ongoing construction operations.
City Meetings, Process
Board of Public Works: June 16, 2021
Transportation Commission: April 15, 2020
Common Council: July 6, 2021
Extension of work hours for Construction Activities (Starting around Aug. 15, 2022)