Proof of Residence (POR) may be presented in either a paper or an electronic format (smart phone, tablet, or laptop). Valid forms of POR must include the voter's name and current address.

Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents

  • Utility bill issued within the last 90 days.
  • Bank, credit union, credit card, or mortgage statement.
  • Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin identification card.
  • Paycheck.
  • A government-issued document (federal, state, county, municipal, tribal, UW, Madison College, or public school).
  • Certified housing list provided to the City Clerk's Office by UW-Madison or Edgewood College (must show student ID; available at the polls and absentee voting sites)
  • Check issued by a unit of government.
  • Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the previous year.
  • Residential lease effective on the day of registration (cannot be used if registering to vote by mail).
  • Contract or intake document issued when admitted to a nursing home or care facility.
  • College fee statement issued in the last nine months, accompanied by student ID card.
  • Affidavit from a public or private social service agency, on letterhead, identifying an individual who is homeless and indicating where that individual resides. Social Services Agency sample letter for homeless voters registration requirement
  • Official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • Identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.

Government-Issued Proof of Residence Documents

Not a comprehensive list

  • Fishing and hunting licenses
  • Vehicle registrations
  • State Social Service Programs
    • FoodShare / SNAP
    • Wisconsin Works
    • Wisconsin Shares
    • BadgerCare notices and correspondence
  • Medicare notices
  • Medicare Explanation of Benefits (not from 2nd party providers or other health insurance providers)
  • Social Security: SSI notices and benefits statements
  • Public High School, Technical College, or Public University correspondence and documents including:
    • admissions correspondence
    • financial aid notices
    • report cards
    • Schedules
    • MyUW-Madison / Student Center webpage screen
  • Federal student loan correspondence and notices
  • Billing statements and collection notices from a governmental entity
  • Correspondence from a federally recognized Native American Tribe living in Wisconsin.

Electronic Proof of Residence

When you register to vote in Wisconsin you must show proof of residence. Electronic proof is acceptable, on either a smart phone, tablet, laptop, etc. These examples are either government documents or utility bills.

Examples of Unacceptable Proof of Residence Documents

Not a comprehensive list.

  • Insurance statement
  • Medical bill
  • Business card
  • Magazine subscription
  • Expired driver license/ID card
  • Out-of-state driver license
  • Piece of mail addressed to voter