9th Annual World Naked Bike Ride - "What one can expect on June 16th, 2018"
Saturday, June 16th, 2018, at approximately 11am, is the tentatively scheduled date/time of the 9th Annual World Naked Bike Ride (Madison). With this announcement being made, it is in no way a measure, on the part of The Madison Police Department, to promote this event, and is largely geared toward making sure that those individuals in the city know exactly what they can expect. Here are a few things that you might not know about The World Naked Bike Ride event.
- Madison residents and visitors should fully expect streets, in the downtown area/isthmus, to be utilized by participants of this event. While specific routes/streets are not known, the isthmus and roadways, in and around that area, has been used in the past.
- People should expect to see a variety of cycle types (Unicycles, Velocipedes, Traditional Bicycles, and maybe some individuals even on skates/roller blades.
- The Public Indecency Ordinance is not being violated by a person who has elected to display their nudity in public, and disorderly conduct cannot be enforced for mere nakedness!
- Behavior, that involves lewd and lascivious acts, would be punishable by Wisconsin state statute, and could draw a response from police.
- Each scenario, that is dealt with by police, will be done so on a case by case basis, as details in each situation are very different from one another.
Since there are no laws in place, that expressly prohibit this kind of behavior (Riding or skating naked), the public should expect that event participants will be exercising their first amendment rights, and The Madison Police Department encourages everyone to obey all traffic laws; pertaining to all human propelled transportation choices. This release has been made available to bring awareness to this event, and have everyone understand that the rights of participants and non-participants should be respected equally.
PO Howard Payne